Monday, September 24, 2007

Crab Hunt

Kristen and I had our very first experience of night fishing for crabs! We had so much fun. Our neighbors wanted to take us. We left the house about 9pm. We were told the water would only be ankle deep because you stay close to the rocks. Little did I know that the waves would be higher this night and up to my bum. The crabs we were looking for were the same color as the rock we were looking on. So we had flashlights and a garden glove. Once we spotted one we were to grab them but be careful not to be grabbed ourselves. I think I did more laughing then crab hunting.

Dave and Paul were spearing a little bit deeper in the water and speared a stick fish. Which Kristen calls a fish stick. We moved on to another beach about 45 minutes later. Here as soon as we reached the water we saw an eel in the water right up close to shore. Scared me so much that I could hardly get into the water this time around. We also saw a few blue bubble jelly fish. Since Kristen was just stung by one a few days ago and Mips just got stung that very night... I didn't go into the water much looking for crabs. Pretty much stayed on shore and relaxed on the beach in the moonlight. It was so bright! The eel scared me enough. I'll have to be more courageous next time. But for my first time night fishing I thought I did pretty good. I would just rather know if something is coming up from behind me or in front of me too for that matter. That big vast ocean is scary nary at night. But I so would go again. We had a really good time and they caught plenty of crab!

No comments: